Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Michael Strahan, Sean Avery among sports figures who support gay rights ... - New York Daily News

Michael Strahan and David Tyree (below in Super Bowl XLII) are ex-teammates who share a Super Bowl victory. Now they find themselves on opposite sides of the gay-marriage debate.

Jim McIsaac/Getty

Michael Strahan and David Tyree (below in Super Bowl XLII) are ex-teammates who share a Super Bowl victory. Now they find themselves on opposite sides of the gay-marriage debate.

Through the years, there have been many sports figures to weigh in on gay rights and same-sex marriage. Here is a sample of those who have spoken out in support and those who have railed against:

"I treat everyone the way I expect to be treated, and that applies to marriage." - Sean Avery (above), May 2011.

"I hate bullies. We have to get to the point where everyone can go to school free of fear." - Brian Burke, Toronto Maple Leafs GM, on those who bully gay athletes. May, 2010.

"As an owner of the New York Giants, I am proud to join the chorus of professionals in sports working for fairness both on and off the field. All New Yorkers should be able to marry the person they love. Please join me and a super majority of New Yorkers supporting marriage equality. Now is the time." - Steve Tisch, N.Y. Giants co-owner, June 2011.

"It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say, 'Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.' First of all, quit telling me what I think. I'd rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can't play." - Charles Barkley, 2011.

"If I'd only known all the fear and anxiety could dissipate by taking care of this. It was weird how easy it was to do this today. I couldn't believe how easy it was. What a schmuck I am for waiting so long." - ESPN Radio host Jared Max, 2011.

AGAINST
"Nothing means more to me than that my God would be honored. Being the fact that I firmly believe that God created and ordained marriage between a man and a woman, I believe that that's something that should be fought for at all costs." - David Tyree, June 20, 2011.

"What's next? Marrying an animal?" - John Smoltz, 2004.

"I think a gay baseball player would be lonely. Players would think twice about asking him out to lunch because other players might think the straight player is gay. I don't think players are narrow-minded, but I think they are homophobic. I'm homophobic. It's easy to be scared of something you don't know anything about." - Todd Jones, Cincinnati Reds pitcher, 2004.

"I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States. So yeah, I don't like it." - Tim Hardaway, former Heat player, February, 2007.

"I don't like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don't like gays." - Brock Lesnar, wrestler, 2004

"No, I mean, if I knew there was a gay guy on my college football team, I probably wouldn't, you know, stand for it. ... You know, I think, you know, they're going to be in the shower with us and stuff, so I don't think that's gonna work. That's not gonna work, you know?" - Jeremy Shockey, former Giants TE, 2002.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters featured article: Ten Years Of Media Lens - Our Problem With Mainstream Dissidents.

Source: "Super Bowl 2011" via Glen in Google Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

iPhone 4 Unlocked Amazon

Angels

  • Mysterious Ways - Miracles The Old Testament is full of displays of God’s power—protecting Daniel in the lions’ den, the parting of the Red Sea, the ten plagues of Egypt. T...
    8 years ago
  • Prayer Stories - Prayer stories nurture faith and renew hope. The power of prayer can't be denied. Prayer can change circumstances or change perspectives, transforming li...
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • Better Living - One key to better living is to look for wisdom in many places. Heeding wise words of life advice can help improve your health, increase your sense of wel...
    8 years ago
  • Pets - Those who have pets in their lives know the tremendous power of these healing animals to bring about feelings of peace, connection, and love. Cats, dogs,...
    8 years ago
  • Daily Devotions - A daily devotional is a trusted guide, and it is an invitation to nurture your spiritual life. Devotionals include a Bible verse, a reflection on that ve...
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago