Thursday, February 10, 2011

2011 Lockout: From A Super Bowl Hangover to Zero In Less Than A Week - Bleacher Report

GREEN BAY, WI - FEBRUARY 08: Green Bay Packers fans gather at Lambeau Field for the Packers victory ceremony on February 8, 2011 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Photo by Matt Ludtke/Getty Images)Euphoria 2011
Matt Ludtke/Getty Images

Greetings from the (really) Frozen Tundra, friends.

I trust you all are recuperating from the Green Bay Packers Super Bowl win.  After all, it has been four days.  If you have not recuperated yet, you celebrated the Super Bowl as true fans of the Green Bay Packers. 

And really?  If you STILL haven't recuperated, you may want to contact a doctor or something.  What did you do?  Try to make your liver explode?  An intervention might be in order.

The past week has been great for fans of the Green Bay Packers.  Did you catch Aaron Rodgers on "The Late Show With David Letterman?"  Yup, I did.

Did you catch Clay Matthews on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno?"  Yup, I did that too.

Did you catch Clay Matthews on "Ellen?"  Nope, I didn't...  But Marlene has it on the good ol' DVR so I will!

Packers fans packed Lambeau Field, despite frigid temperatures, just to celebrate the Lombardi Trophy's return to Green Bay and thank the team for a great season.  Additionally fans, myself included, have been dragging their sorry, exhausted, tails into work this week, tired but happy that we have witnessed yet another great Super Bowl win.

The smiles on the faces of the fans is further evidence that people in Wisconsin are happy.  Usually, when people in Wisconsin are this happy, it means that someone put on a free half barrel of Old Milwaukee beer for a Thirsty Thursday and the whole town was invited. 

My happiness, however, faded today when I looked on my home page and saw the headline:  "NFL Sides Cancel Labor Talks" on the New York Post website.

After nearly a perfect week of happiness, it was time to face cold, hard reality.  And this made me feel more miserable than the 30 degrees below zero weather outside my door.

No football.  Seriously?  No football?

I have debated this with Manpig many times.  What do we do when the football season is over?

And with the Super Bowl over, I started to seriously think about what was coming up in the near future.  You know, the stuff that I have been putting off due to football season, like life in general.

When I saw the article on the lockout, it was time for me to seriously think about what was coming up in 2011.  Of course, I had heard the rumors of a lockout throughout the season, but hey!  Football was on at that moment, so why think about next fall?  Yes, I procrastinated, and for that I apologize.  But, the time for planning is now.

I, as a fan of not only the Green Bay Packers but of football in general, cannot fathom a fall that is not spent watching football.

I cannot stomach the idea that a deal cannot be reached between the players and the owners.  Period. 

Super Bowl XLV was the most watched television program of all time.  And now the thought that there may not be a 2011 NFL season is nearly making me ill.  To cancel negotiations today tells me, as a fan, that this is going to be a very long offseason.  

It disturbs me to hear that the players could potentially face more injuries during a longer season and that surprises me.  I would watch football every single weekend of the year, if I could.

However, I realize that the human body wears down, and what good would it be to have players getting hurt, and potentially ending their careers, for my amusement?  Look at professional wrestling: do we really want to see football players suffer injuries like wrestlers?  I don't.

So, what is the deal, owners and players?

You can't end the dispute?  KEEP TRYING!

To quote Robert Frost, "The best way out is always through."  Keep going, guys!

The fans will be waiting.  I know I will be anyway.

This article is

What is the duplicate article?

Why is this article offensive?

Where is this article plagiarized from?

Why is this article poorly edited?

Flag This Article

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Collateral Damage - WikiLeaks In The Crosshairs.

Source: "Super Bowl 2011" via Glen in Google Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

iPhone 4 Unlocked Amazon

Angels

  • Mysterious Ways - Miracles The Old Testament is full of displays of God’s power—protecting Daniel in the lions’ den, the parting of the Red Sea, the ten plagues of Egypt. T...
    8 years ago
  • Prayer Stories - Prayer stories nurture faith and renew hope. The power of prayer can't be denied. Prayer can change circumstances or change perspectives, transforming li...
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • Better Living - One key to better living is to look for wisdom in many places. Heeding wise words of life advice can help improve your health, increase your sense of wel...
    8 years ago
  • Pets - Those who have pets in their lives know the tremendous power of these healing animals to bring about feelings of peace, connection, and love. Cats, dogs,...
    8 years ago
  • Daily Devotions - A daily devotional is a trusted guide, and it is an invitation to nurture your spiritual life. Devotionals include a Bible verse, a reflection on that ve...
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago
  • - *[unable to retrieve full-text content]*
    8 years ago